Friday, August 14, 2009

Scout Camp: Day 5


I think our Wilderness Survival went well! My air mat had a hole in it, so it deflated in 5 minutes. In the morning, I thought I was left by myself, but I saw Rick's blue sleeping bag, and Dallin's head peeking out from behind a log a couple yards away.

We got back to camp and ate Cap'n Crunch. Then we worked on our merit badges some more. We got our Wilderness Survival and Citizenship in the Nation merit badge done!



We then took a small hike over to Ski Lake. We got to a fork in the road. We tried going up one way, but it led to a patch of snow. Im glad we didn't go across it. Jeremy and I threw rocks into the snow, and they fell right through into a deep trench. So, the snow only 3 inches thick!



We went down the other way, which led to a small stream.



We hiked just a ways to the lake. Brother Jackson took a swim in the lake. Turns out, the water was really cold!



We ate chicken and tuna on crackers for lunch.



We had a rock skipping competition for a while. The best score was either 10 or 12. You can watch us skip rocks in the video on the right side of the screen (notice Dallin's sweatshirt was on backwards!)

Dallin and Jeremy went fishing. They didn't have any fishing poles, so the used a hiking pole, and the fishing line and hooks from their Wilderness Survival kits.



Rick and I hunted for grasshoppers for Dallin and Jeremy's bait in the meadow near the lake (look closely in this picture, and you'll Brother Jackson sleeping out in the meadow).


I caught some pretty big grasshoppers.



Rick said that they're high in protein, and that got me curious. So, yeah, I ate one. I influenced Rick to do it too.


Meanwhile, on the other side of the lake, Brother Spencer, Randall, and my dad built a raft out of logs and rope. Jaren and Brother Spencer tried it out. It got a little waterlogged, but it held together nicely!



Dallin and Jeremy tried out their fishing poles and they caught a "fish"! It turned out to be just some bait thing you put on the end of your fishing line.



They did find some neat bones though.


When we got back to Leavitt Lake, we had freeze-dried lasagna and freeze-dried blueberry cheesecake. I had one more requirement for my Wilderness Survival merit badge, and that was to purify water by boiling it. I tried lighting a match (which I did) and I burnt myself a little bit. Then Brother Kukuk started laughing at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment