Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Scout Camp: Day 2


The next day, we ate our granola with powdered milk for breakfast, and then we all got packed up and ready the day.



I got a mosquito bite on my eyelid over the night so my eyelid was all puffed up. Then, my dad put a pound of calamine lotion on it, which made it look worse.



We continued on the trail until we got to a river where we ate some trail mix.







While we were hiking, we tried to find Hidden Lake. I don't think we even found it (maybe that's why it's called Hidden Lake)! Anyway, we continued our hike over some rocky terrain.





We hiked and hiked until we got to a river. The trail continued on the other side, and there wasn't really a way to cross it. We found a fairly safe way across on some rocks. The only problem was: We had our heavy packs on. I stepped on a slippery rock, and the weight of my pack pulled back and I fell into the river.

I got to the other side, but I was soaking wet, so I had to change my clothes. Then, we just decided to eat lunch there. We ate Ritz and Triscuits crackers with salami, mustard, and Easy Cheese. You know, the cheese stuff in the can? Anyway, we ate lunch, filled up our water bottles with the water purifier in the river, and continued on our way.

We hiked until we got to Fremont Lake.



We took in the view for a while , and then we hiked some more. Some where on the trail, Dallin and Randall got too far ahead, and Brother Spencer lost his map somewhere. We hiked until we came to a rest stop. We ate some more trail mix, talked for a while, and then we got our bearings.


We hiked up an abandoned trail that nobody has hiked on for a long time (you could tell because the trail was flooded with pine cones). Eventually, we got to Walker River, where we planned to camp for the night.

Rick, Jaren, Alec, Jeremy, and I made up a game where someone would say a line from a Disney movie, and you would have to guess which movie the line came from. We played our while we waited for Dallin and Randall. Brother Spencer went to go look for them.

It night grew darker and darker. We added some water to our potato flakes, and we had mashed potatoes for dinner. Finally we saw Brother Spencer trudging back with Dallin and Randall (and he found his map)!

It turns out, Dallin and Randall tried to look for us, so they went back to Fremont Lake, but we weren't there, so they hiked back, but instead of taking the abandoned trail, they took a different one that goes to Walker River a longer way! So all-in-all, they hiked an extra 6 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment